Thursday, June 08, 2006

Midnight Thoughts

Man, I am tired. Just juggling the math in my head makes me want to give up and throw in the towel.

Time passes quickly...too quick sometimes.

But we survive...we have to anyway. As Pico Iyer mentions in the only piece I have read so far, Manila has a "wistful desperation". And maybe I am wistful...and bordering on desperate.

But we make do. And we try to live in the moment....because otherwise, we'd go crazy and write a blog post at 1 in the morning.

So...I am thankful for every blessing that I have.

We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves...

Abroad, we are wonderfully free of caste and job and standing...And precisely because we are clarified in this way, and freed of inessential labels, we have the opportunity to come into contact with more essential parts of ourselves

And if travel is like love, it is, in the end, mostly because it's a heightened state of awareness, in which we are mindful, receptive, undimmed by familiarity and ready to be transformed.

That is why the best trips, like the best love affairs, never really end.

"Why We Travel", by Pico Iyer

No comments:

Popular Posts