Tuesday, December 14, 2004

About a Boy

My ex-boyfriend approached me, smiled sheepishly, and said, "Have you heard?"

"Heard what?", I asked, even though I knew fully what he was going to say. It was best to pretend I didn't know anything, I don't know, I just thought the best reaction would be one of pleasant surprise. And well, you can't act surprised if you didn't pretend you didn't know.

"Maybe Alvin or the others told you," he said.

"Nope, they didn't mention anything," I smiled questioningly. "Why, what's up?"

"I'm getting married!" he said.

Of course, I knew weeks before that he was going to get married early next year. I also knew his girlfriend now was pregnant. Initially, when I found out, I was inexplainably happy. Even though that thin girl with the long hair and the big boobs did manage to steal my then-boyfriend away, I'm generally not a selfish person. I don't begrudge what isn't mine. And for some reason, I even felt relieved that he was going to get married. Although I do have to admit, I was gloating quite a bit that he was getting married because he got his girl pregnant.

But today, I was sincere.

"Congratulations!" I exclaimed, and extended my hand to shake his. He smiled even more sheepishly, like a schoolboy about to admit that he had a crush on someone. This reminded me of the way he was before, the pa-cute shyness that effectively endears a guy to a girl.

"She's four months pregnant," he said, smiling proudly yet still maintaining his shy demeanor.

And I could see the pride, and the love, in his eyes, in his actions, in his words. He was truly proud of becoming a father. And I was truly happy for him. I don't really know the girl, but I knew my ex-boyfriend. And I am sincerely happy that he found his happiness, his call to fatherhood, his call to married life.

No comments:

Popular Posts