Sunday, June 19, 2005

The United States of America

For me, the US is a double-edged sword. I love movies, so seeing the US first hand is like a dream come true, like a kid finally seeing Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory and knowing where his favorite chocolates came from. I am aware of the allure and the power of the US. I am also aware that there are times that this great big nation acts like a great big bully.

THE BAD

This one is from Anton San Diego's lifestyle column in the Inquirer. He was writing about his application for a US Visa. The lines were long and it was jampacked, he said.

It was still a long wait till my number lit up on the electronic board. I had forgotten that so many of Pinoys were applying for a US visa are professionals. Some were really desperate for a better life. The security guard told me they interview about 1,000 people a day.

All of a sudden there was a loud scream. The whole room literally woke up and tried to find out what happened. We thought that a visa officer was shouting at an applicant.

It turns out this young boy and his mom had to demonstrate taekwondo techniques to the visa officer: the child needed a visa to be able to compete for a taekwondo tournament.

Now how did I know that? My seat mate told me. She said, "Ganyan talaga dito!" I could hear the mom desperately cajole her young son, 'Sige pa anak, haya!'

....

As I was leaving, there was a lovely girl being interviewed in one window. She suddenly began singing..... As I left the embassy ..... I could also not help but think of the lure of the US in our lives. It is still the land of milk and honey, where dreams are made possible. I only wished that one day we could see our country the way we see the US
For some reason, the article left a bitter taste in my mouth. Why do we need to demean ourselves to get a US visa? I find showcasing taekwondo skills and singing in front of a grumpy visa officer demeaning and insulting. But we do all that. For a chance to go to the US. To see what the big Hollywood fuss is about. To see how a better life feels like. To be in the land of milk and money. I wish someday our country can be enough. Sigh.


THE GOOD

Well, the upside to being rich and powerful is, they have money to burn and the conscience to do it. Help them decide. Affix your signature to The One Campaign to end poverty. (Thanks to Simon and Sheila for the link)


No comments:

Popular Posts