Thursday, May 20, 2010

Swim, Eat, and Be Merry

Today, the kid and I had lunch together, at one of the fast food chains on Tomas Morato. We just had her swimming lessons, and were on our way to "investigate" one of the preschools near E.Rodriguez Ave.

The Swimming
The swimming lesson was eventful since: 1) we were late, and 2) the kid developed the fear of submerging her head under water, going to ridiculous lengths and overacting poses to make sure her head was above water while we were gliding. It was irritating me (I blame my hormones). Really, I still remember how she looked like in the water -- if I wasn't irritated (because I know she was overacting it), I would find it really funny. Instead of forcing the matter (and making her really afraid of water), I deemed it more prudent to not finish today's swimming lesson. She wasn't wild or tantrum-y, probably just resistant to change. She still likes to swim, just doesn't want to put her head under water.

The Preschool
I haven't really blogged about our search for a preschool. But trust me, I've spent hours and hours poring over forums and websites, looking for an affordable, progressive preschool that hopefully also teaches Chinese. Have I found it? No. I've read about Montessori, multiple intelligences, international schools, progressive schools, pseudo-Montessori schools, and now even Waldorf schools. Have I decided? Not yet. It's a bit scary to think that my decision now could have the possibility of limiting her options for the future. So...I'm not 100% on anything yet.

The Meal
The kid and I had a quick lunch together. With the turmoil of learning something new (submerging her head while swimming), and the anxiety of deciding on a course for the future, it's really the quiet moments spent with her that matters. Being present. I'm thankful she can eat well. I am thankful that we have this opportunity to spend some quiet time, together, just the two of us.

No comments:

Popular Posts