Saturday, July 09, 2005

Beautiful Day

Hi, hi, hi, beautiful Sunday
This is my, my, my, beautiful day
When you say, say, say, say that you love me
Oh, my, my, my it's a beautiful day

-- Daniel Boone, "Beautiful Sunday", 1972

It wasn't a Sunday, but the cheery song lifted everyone's spirits. It was a Saturday, and it was my mom's birthday. Most everyone was in red...her favorite color, aside from being the staple Chinese birthday color. The "harana" started with the requisite "Happy Birthday" song, proceeded to the melodramatic "Ikaw", and ended with the oldie "Beautiful Sunday."

We were having buffet lunch at Dad's Ultimate Buffet at West Avenue. Sushi, sashimi, lechon, steak, pasta, paella, adobo, turkey, noodles, and lots of cake and ice cream! The glutton in me tried to make the most of it... hmm. Halfway through my second plate, I was feeling quite full already. Ahh, signs of getting old? =p Or maybe I just had too much to eat the day before as well (Thanks to my new Portal-let team mates for the hearty lunch at Amici de Don Bosco!)

Anyway, the main memory that I would like to remember from Saturday is the song from God knows when.


"Theme song siguro nila yun," my cousin remarked. Hmm. Perhaps. But even if most of us didn't know the song, we clapped along anyway. The musician at the Dad's Buffet area gamely sang on.

Birds are singing, you by my side
Let's take a car and go for a ride
Hey, hey, hey, it's a beautiful day
We'll drive on and follow the sun
Makin' Sunday go on and on
Hey, hey, hey, it's a beautiful day

Everyone was happy, and my mom was laughing along. The scene never quite got caught on camera, but I'd like to take the memory of that smile with me. Happy thoughts. Happy memories. Happy celebrations.

Happy birthday to the mom that reared me.

No comments:

Popular Posts