Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crouching Father, Hidden Toddler

While "rushing" home today, I thought I wanted to buy a good book for myself. As I entered the mall (to go to the MRT station), a Booksale branch caught my eye. "Maybe I could buy a book I could read during the Holy Week," I thought.

Well, I didn't buy anything for me. But I did spend precious minutes contemplating whether or not to buy Zoe another book (I didn't). And I did end up buying B his own book, Crouching Father, Hidden Toddler: A Zen Guide for New Dads, by C.W. Nevious. It's a collection of short, funny essays about being a father. There's truth in those essays, which also makes them insightful. And, they're not just for fathers.

Here's an excerpt:


The Mighty Virtue of a Daughter and a Dad

Deep in the secret depths of their silent hearts, some fathers are the
tiniest bit disappointed when the learn the new baby will be a girl.

This is an epic error. For starters, girls play sports now. A lot. And
these aren't bunt-and-giggle games either. Elbows are thrown, knees are skinned,
and trash is talked.

But that's not really the point. Explaining the mysterious, powerful bond
between dads and daughters takes a lifetime. Why is it that you two can speak
without saying a word? Or can sense each other's moods? Does her mom complain
that you sometimes let her get away with murder?

Um...maybe. Is that a problem?

A daughter will unexpectedly give you a hug. Or sit with you and watch your
favorite classic movie on TV.

In fact, you are likely to find that your daughter is a nearly perfect
companion. She likes and understands you. Which is why, when she goes on a date,
you may find your heart taking an unexpected lurch. Remember when you secretly
wished she was a boy? This is payback.

No comments:

Popular Posts