Thursday, July 22, 2004

laptop snatcher from hell

Can I swear/curse?

I want to curse that greedy guy/girl/neanderthal who stole my freaking laptop. Instead of me luxuriating in the speed of a brand new HP NC6000 model, I have to contend with this Compaq Armada M300, circa 1990s. Its battery/reserve power doesn't work, so switching locations is a fucking pain in the ass. I have to reboot and restart, and it's not as if this baby can boot up without problems! Sometimes it hangs when shutting down. Sometimes it hangs when booting up. Sometimes it boots up the wrong way, sort of like waking up on the wrong side of the bed. When that happens, it simply doesn't want to open documents, and everything hangs. And you have to reboot. But it hangs first. So you do a hard reboot. And before you know it, an hour has already passed. And you're not even doing anything yet.

Why can't that stupid robber just get someone else's laptop? Someone whose existing laptop has a working battery! Urgh. And so instead of the laptop, I request for a replacement battery instead. Did you know that the battery cell for a Compaq Armada M300 costs more than 11,000 pesos? That's way too expensive for an overworked and overextended old model. But anyway, since I haven't worked up the courage to ask for a new laptop (again), that request will have to do. So far I don't know what the status is.

So anyway, why did I lose that fucking laptop anyway? Who the fuck stole that laptop? Did he/she need that to feed his/her starving family? Was someone's life saved because of the money gained in selling a stolen laptop? I'll never, will I? But sometimes I wish I knew. Just so I'll know if the tradeoff was good enough. If all this frustration I'm experiencing right now over a very slow PC is worth it.

P.S. -- as a backgrounder, one mysterious weekend, the laptop that the company assigned to me to replace the second-hand (or third-hand) laptop I'm using was stolen. I left it on my desk, box and all, one Friday night. Monday morning, it was gone, box and all. Investigation showed nothing. Well, at the most, investigation established the laptop was there Friday night, it was there right before 6AM Saturday morning, and it was gone after 6:30 AM Saturday morning. Of course, no culprit was caught.  

The reason why I'm hesitant to ask for another laptop is, one of the higher ups sort of blamed me for leaving the laptop on my office desk. Well, I sort of got used to an office environment where PCs don't get stolen. I left it inside the office, on my desk, but not inside a locked cabinet, which they say is my fault. So I'm hesitant, in case they remember to blame me again for the loss.

No comments:

Popular Posts