Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sushi Katsu


My dad wanted us to have Sunday night dinner, and he mentioned a resto he read somewhere in the Inquirer. "Sushi Katsu" he said, somewhere in Tomas Morato. Since it was Father's Day weekend, I decided to google the resto and try to reserve a table for us.

Sushi Katsu opens during lunch and dinner only. Dinner hours start at 6pm. At 6pm, I decide to call their listed number.

The line rings. The other line answers: "Sushi Katsu"
Me: "Hi, I'd like to reserve a table for later"
Sushi Katsu: "We don't accept reservations. Punta na lang kayo mamaya."
Me: "Ahh. So punta na lang kami mamaya?"
Sushi Katsu: "Yes"

One of the online reviews mentions that Sushi Katsu isn't usually full. The resto serves Japanese food prepared by a Japanese chef, and the food is supposedly good, so why not try it? We arrive at the resto around 7pm-ish. The resto is full. We request for a table for 5.

Sushi Katsu: "May reservations kayo?"
Me: "Wala."
SK: "Kailangan may reservations po."
Me: slightly irritated already. "Tumawag ako kanina, sabi nyo di na kailangan ng reservations eh"
SK: "Kailan kayo tumawag?"
Me: "Kanina lang."
SK: "Wala pong table eh, kailangan may reservations."
Me: Angry, and breaking the cardinal rule in eating out -- don't express anger before being served the food! "Eh tumawag ako kanina sabi nyo pumunta lang, di na kailangan ng reservations. Sana sinabi nyo na lang na kailangan ng reservations."

I didn't want to disappoint the dad though, so I stepped out first to cool off. DD was a bit noisy at this point, you know, just shouting a bit having fun, playing hide and seek while screaming a bit. Normally I'd shush her, but this time I just let her shout as loud as she wanted. I was irritated, and so what if the restaurant patrons were irritated. Haha.

To their credit, Sushi Katsu offered to find us a table -- "gagawan na lang po ng paraan". After some time (medyo matagal, I wanted to step out already), they did prepare a table for us.

Food
Food was ok and my expectations were met. We had sashimi, sushi, sukiyaki, teppanyaki, ebi tempura, ebi fry (magkaiba nga sila!), agedashi tofu. My dad says the agedashi tofu was good. DH felt it was just so-so. Rumor has it, the Japanese chef also prepares okonomiyaki, although we didn't try to order it anymore that time. There were a lot of customers streaming in, so people obviously think the food is good.

Service and Ambience
There were only 2 waitresses to service the whole place that night (plus, I assume, the owner's wife), so service was understandably not that fast. But you can see they try, and even in the hectic-ness of it all, they were still courteous and smiling. [Nag-tip kami! And when we got a table, mabait na ako.]


Interiors were simple. They had nice wooden tables and chairs, and I liked the solidness and simplicity of the furniture. The restroom was clean.

Verdict
Overall, this is one place I wouldn't mind returning to (when it's not so busy). I'm not an expert in Japanese food, but I do like to eat, and yes, it was delicious. Do try it.

No comments:

Popular Posts