Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Waiting, after school

"Waiting for Wednesday..."

My imaginary friend asks me, why wait for Zoe after her preschool class? You could always delegate this, ask the yaya to go to her preschool and do the waiting and the fetching, just like the other mommies out there.

I wait. Because I still could. I still have the flexible hours to back this up. And I wait. Because I like the way she smiles when she comes out of the class room. I like the way her face quietly lights up, knowing that mommy was out there with her, just as she needed her. I like her quiet calmness at school, amidst the chaos of all those crying children longing for something they can't express. At this moment, she has this quiet calmness, that quiet confidence that she will get what she wants, that confident patience that she doesn't need to cry to express herself. I am amazed. And proud.

I hope...that she will retain this sense of calmness, this sense of awe, this sense of quiet excitement regarding schooling. Some say schooling can destroy creativity. I am hoping nothing can destroy her sense of self.

No comments:

Popular Posts